Graphic of Eden Prairie Miracle League Field
MIRACLE LEAGUE BACKGROUND
The Miracle League began in Georgia in 1997 when Rockdale Youth Baseball Association invited a 7-year-old child in a wheelchair to play on its team. In 1998, other children with disabilities were invited to join them and by 2002 the league had more than 250 players around the country. See the video below about The Miracle League that aired on the Today Show.
Miracle League play happens on specially designed baseball fields – Miracle Fields – that feature a cushioned rubberized surface, wheelchair accessible dugouts and a completely flat surface.
The Miracle League features special playing rules:
- Every player bats once each inning
- All players are safe on the bases
- Every player scores a run before the inning is over (last one up gets a home run)
- Community children and volunteers serve as ‘buddies’ to assist the players
- Each team and each player wins every game
To support this project, please visit epmiracle.com to make a tax-deductible contribution through the Eden Prairie Community Foundation.
Questions? Contact Parks and Recreation Director Jay Lotthammer at 952-949-8440.