The City of Eden Prairie routinely prunes trees and shrubs located within rights of way at no cost to homeowners. The goal of this program is to annually evaluate and prune vegetation throughout the entire City on a seven-year rotation.
Pruning vegetation improves intersection sight lines, eliminates branches that interfere with vehicles on the road or pedestrians on trails/sidewalks, and removes vegetation that impedes the City’s ability to perform maintenance and operation of utilities.
These activities may include pruning or removing of vegetation for the following reasons:
- Traffic signs, signals or roadway lighting blocked
- Sightlines for vehicles or trail and sidewalk use obstructed
- Vehicles and equipment operating in the roadway impeded (limbs located less than 16 feet above the roadway and 5 feet beyond the curb)
- Use of trails and sidewalks, or the equipment necessary to maintain them hindered (limbs located less than 10 feet above trail/sidewalk and 2 feet beyond the edge of pavement)
- Utility maintenance and operation activities impeded (water, sanitary sewer and drainage systems)
- Vegetation is diseased, infected with injurious pests or dead