The Sustainable Eden Prairie Award (formerly known as the Spirit of Eden Prairie Award) recognizes significant and innovative investments that contribute to the overall vitality and sustainability of the community.
Property improvements/enhancements and organized programming or initiatives are eligible.
The 2017 Sustainable Eden Prairie Award nomination period has closed.
NOMINATION CATEGORIES WITH EXAMPLES
- Solar panels or solar-powered lighting
- Wind power
- Smart grid systems
- Optimized energy efficiencies in HVAC and refrigeration systems
- Geothermal heating/cooling
- Native plantings
- Pollinator-friendly plants
- Community gardens
- Chemical-free gardening
- Low/no-mow grass
- Organics recycling
- Reused/recycled construction materials
- Food waste reduction
- Rain gardens
- Water retention ponds/systems
- Grey water irrigation
- Shoreline preservation/restoration
- Green roofs
- Permeable pavers
- Eden Prairie properties – residential, commercial, industrial and office
- Program/initiative must be implemented by an Eden Prairie resident, business or organization that serves Eden Prairie
- Past award-winning properties can only be nominated if new, eligible improvements have been made
- Members of the Conservation Commission are not eligible for the award while serving on the Commission
NOMINATION AND AWARD PROCESS
- Nominations may be made by persons on behalf of themselves or others
- Nominators are not required to be Eden Prairie residents
- At least one photo or document must be provided with the nomination form
- A property or program can be nominated in multiple categories
- Award recipients are selected by the Conservation Commission in September
- The number of awards each year depends on suitable nominations
- Both award recipients and their nominators are notified in October
- Award recipients receive formal recognition at a City Council meeting in November
Note: Award recipients receive a certificate and choice of a commemorative plaque or landscaping stone. There is no monetary award for the Sustainable Eden Prairie Award.
For questions about eligibility, nomination process or other Sustainable Eden Prairie Award questions, contact Community Development Coordinator Marisa Bayer at 952-949-8332.