Skip to page body Home Home City Government Community Doing Business Amenities I Want To...

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

What do I do if water is leaking near the water meter or if water is coming out of the ground in my yard or in the street?

Between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on weekdays, contact the Utilities Division at 952-949-8407.

After 3:30 p.m. on weekdays or on weekends, contact the Police Department at 952-949-6200.

Why is my water off?

First, make sure that the valves at your water meter were not accidently turned off.

There may be construction in the area, repairs or an emergency that resulted in the water being shut off.

When a water system repair is scheduled by the City, the Utilities Division sends people door-to-door at least 24 hours in advance of the repair, leaving notices at each address served by the system which will be shut off. If the repair is an emergency, City crews make every effort to contact residents by going door-to-door prior to the shut off.

If you suddenly have no water during a particularly cold snap, you may have frozen pipes. Call the Utilities Division at 952-949-8407 for advice on how to proceed or call the Police Department at 952-949-6200 if the problem occurs after hours.

Do not simply warm the area and leave – frozen pipes are usually broken by the ice inside the pipes and may not leak until they thaw. You may wind up with a flood.

Can I make an appointment to get my water turned back on?

Call the Utilities Division at 952-949-8407 to schedule an appointment.

Once the water is turned on, a walk-through of the property must be done to ensure that no flooding or damage is going to be caused by frozen pipes, open faucets, etc. and to ensure the water meter is working properly.

What are the appointment hours for meter repairs?

Meter repair appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday with the first time at 7:30 a.m. and the last time at 2:30 p.m.

Contact the Utilities Division at 952-949-8407 for an appointment.

What can I do to improve water pressure?

If a recent loss of water pressure has occurred at all the faucets in the building, make sure the meter valves next to the water meter are open. If the meter valves are open and the recent loss of water pressure persists, contact the Utilities Division at 952-949-8407.

If low water pressure has been a long-term problem and there are no apparent water leaks, some or all of these items may cause poor water pressure:

  • Meter valves and other valves not fully open.
  • Clogged screens on faucets.
  • Faulty pressure-reducing valve (not every home has this device).
  • Faulty pressure-boosting pump (only some properties have a booster pump).
  • Corroded plumbing (in older construction homes).

You may need to contact a plumber for professional advice if the problem stems from within the home. Maintenance on all water piping on private property is the responsibility of the property owner. The City advises homeowners to seek advice and obtain bids from at least three licensed plumbers who are familiar with low-water pressure problems.

What is the metal fixture in my yard or driveway?

This metal object is the access valve for shutting off your property’s water service from the street. Over time, as the ground moves because of frost and settling, the fixture can become covered by soil or will stick up out of the ground. Sometimes when a property is prepared for initial sale, the landscaping is accidentally made to cover the water valve. Many times the water service is installed before the home is built, and the garage is constructed directly in front of this valve, resulting in the driveway passing over the water service valve. The cap which covers this fixture may also get knocked off or broken.

This fixture is a crucial component of your home’s water service. Should you ever experience a major water leak within your house, this valve is what the City will use to prevent your home from flooding. Please do not cover this fixture with landscaping or otherwise bury it so that it cannot be easily found. The City will, at no charge, come out and adjust this fixture to ground level and install a new cap if needed. Contact the Utilities Division at 952-949-8407.

Where can I apply for a lawn watering exemption permit?

Submit the Lawn Watering Permit [PDF] form.

More information on lawn watering in Eden Prairie is available on the Lawn Watering and Lawn Care page of the website.

How do I view my water utility bills?
Once you are logged into eUtilityBilling, click on Billing History, then click on any of the dates under the Bill Date column to see the details of each bill. You will see the word “View” under the Web Bill column. When you click on any of the “View” links, a separate window will pop up with your eBill. Since eUtilityBilling was implemented in March 2006, only details of your bill from March 2006 to present can be viewed.
I am trying to make a water bill payment online, but am unable to proceed. What’s wrong?
Once you select your payment method and click the "Go" button, you will be directed to a 3rd-party site. Be sure to click OK on the message notifying you that you are being redirected. If you still don’t see another window with your payment options, your pop-up blocker may not be allowing the payment site to open. On the top toolbar of your browser, click on Tools, then Pop-up Blockers. Make sure the setting is set to “Turn off Pop-up Blockers.”
Will I receive confirmation of my water bill payment when using eUtilityBilling?
After you make a payment with a credit card, a screen confirming successful payment will show the payment card, date, time and amount. You may print a copy of this confirmation screen for your records.
How do I contact water utility billing Customer Service?

Call Customer Service during business hours at 952-949-8382, or submit a request to be contacted by our staff the next business day.

On the request form please describe why you want to be contacted and provide your account and customer numbers, in addition to your email and phone number.

When will the payment be transferred from my checking, savings or credit card account with the water utility Automatic Payment Plan (ACH)?
Automatic Payment Plan payments are transferred from your account on the billing due date.
What if I try the water utility Automatic Payment Plan and don’t like it?
You can cancel your authorization for automatic payments at any time by notifying the City in writing.
When making online payments for my water utility bill, how do I know my computer connection is secure?
To ensure you are on a secure server, look for the padlock or key icon in the lower right hand corner of your browser. The padlock should appear locked and the key should appear connected to indicate a secure server. The symbol may not be visible on general information screens about the service, but will be reflected on any screens that will transmit your confidential account information.

Another indication of a secure site is the web address bar. It will change from "http://..." to "https://..." The “s” indicates the hypertext transfer protocol (http) is secure.
What if I just want to make a water utility bill payment online but not sign up for eUtilityBilling?

If you would like to make a payment but not receive the added features of eUtilityBilling, you can go to the eUtilityBilling page of the website, and then click “Make a Payment Now.”

You will need your account and customer numbers. The account number is 10 digits and the customer number is eight digits and can be found on your utility bill.

What is the water utilities Automatic Payment Plan (ACH)?

The Automatic Payment Plan (ACH) allows your utility bill to be paid from your checking, savings or credit card automatically – no checks to write, no postage to buy, no late payments. It’s free, fast and completely hassle-free.

To sign up for the Automatic Payment Plan, complete the Automatic Payment Plan Authorization form [PDF] and return as instructed on the form.

Why am I not receiving notification that my water bill is ready to be viewed?

If you have signed up for eUtilityBilling, you will not receive a copy of your bill in the mail, but you should be notified by email that your bill is ready to be viewed. If you do not receive notification please check the following:

  • Check to see if the email has gone to your spam filter 
  • Check to see if the correct email address is entered in eUtilityBilling

Otherwise, contact Utility Billing at 952-949-8382 or email

What if I change banks after signing up for the eUtilityBilling Automatic Payment Plan (ACH)?
If you change banks, simply complete the Automatic Payment Plan Authorization form [PDF] and return as instructed.
How is the sewer charge on my water bill calculated?

Sewer charges are based upon water usage during the winter months.

To calculate sewer use, the City reads your water meter during the winter months to determine a quarterly average. This is beneficial for our customers because water use is substantially less in the winter.

However, if a customer's current actual water use is less than the winter average, then the sewer charge is based on actual water use.

For more information, submit an inquiry to Utility Billing Customer Service.

What is the hardness of City water?

Eden Prairie tap water averages 5 grains per gallon, or 90 milligrams per liter of total hardness.

Hardness in water is an expression of the amount of dissolved minerals. The two most common minerals found dissolved in drinking water contributing to water hardness are calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

The average hardness of Eden Prairie’s combined well water prior to treatment is around 360 milligrams per liter, or about 21 grains per gallon.

Residents of Eden Prairie do not need a water softener. Eden Prairie is one of the very few communities in the metropolitan area that softens its public water supply. The City’s water treatment softening process removes the calcium hardness from the water, as well as iron and manganese common in Minnesota water supplies, achieving the results you would expect from a home softener.

Visit the Groundwater and Drinking Water section of the website for more information about Eden Prairie's water.

1 2 3 4