The Eden Prairie Police Department blog provides an opportunity for the public to learn more about the people who work there — their stories, their lives, their work in Eden Prairie and their thoughts on topics from driving to dogs.
Keep Your Home Safe While You're Away
If you plan to escape Eden Prairie this spring to go on vacation, make sure you take a few minutes to secure your home in order to minimize the risk of burglary while you’re gone. In 2018, there were 55 residential burglaries in Eden Prairie. Don’t become part of this year’s statistics! Before you leave, follow these tips to safeguard your house while you’re away:
- Don’t mention your absence on social media.
- Double-check to make sure all doors and windows are locked, including the door between your home and garage.
- Use motion-sensing lights near entrances to your home or make sure standard outdoor lights near entrances are left on.
- Set timers on lights, radios and TVs to create the illusion someone is in the home.
- Place a hold on mail and newspaper delivery.
- Arrange for someone to shovel your driveway and sidewalk if necessary.
- Don’t keep valuables in your bedroom as this is where burglars go first. Instead, keep valuables in an unlikely place.
- Trim shrubbery near entrances or windows as they can provide a hiding place for a burglar to quickly smash a window or door.
- Notify neighbors that you will be away from your home and encourage them to call 911 if they see anything suspicious.