The Eden Prairie Police Department blog provides an opportunity for the public to learn more about the people who work there — their stories, their lives, their work in Eden Prairie and their thoughts on topics from driving to dogs.
Over the past month, Eden Prairie and many other communities across the country have seen an increase in personal fireworks usage among residents. From May 22 to June 25 of this year, EPPD dispatchers received 13 fireworks-related complaints, compared to just five complaints over a similar time period in 2019.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC), in 2018 half of the fireworks injuries seen at emergency rooms around July 4 were to extremities, particularly the hand, finger or leg. One-third were to the eye or other parts of the head. Children ages 10-14 had the highest rate of fireworks injuries, with more than one-third (36%) of the victims of fireworks injuries in this period under age 15.
With the cancellation of this year's 4th of July Hometown Celebration at Round Lake Park in Eden Prairie, residents may be seeking alternative plans to celebrate.
Police discourage the use of personal fireworks for safety reasons, but if you do intend to use fireworks, here are some tips from the CPSC to keep your family safe:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.
- Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
As an alternative to fireworks, consider adding these virtual events to your holiday weekend: