Peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants must obtain a permit from the City to conduct business in Eden Prairie.
A City permit allows peddlers and solicitors to visit homes daily 9 a.m.–7 p.m.
For more information see City Code Section 5.37 [PDF].
Peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants must obtain a permit from the City to conduct business in Eden Prairie and adhere to the following:
- Make an appointment to present application in person by calling 952-949-6200
- Application must be complete and legible; indicate 'Not Applicable' on application when appropriate
- Allow minimum of three working days for application to be processed
- No peddling, soliciting or selling until permit has been issued; peddling or soliciting prior to issuance of a permit is a violation of City ordinance and is cause for permit denial
- Permit expires Dec. 31 of current year, regardless of issue date
- Peddling, soliciting or selling in City parks is prohibited
- Failure to provide true and complete information shall constitute a violation of the City ordinance; the license of any applicant may be revoked by reason of material falsification or omission of information for said application
- $50 application fee (interstate exempted)
- Credentials establishing relationship to employer/supplier (i.e., company-issued ID card, business card, pay stub)
- Copy of all literature about product or service (i.e., brochures, receipt example, pricing sheet)
- Government-issued driver’s license or state ID to be photocopied at time application is submitted
When issuing permits, the City does not endorse any organization, product or service.
Peddlers and solicitors may visit homes daily 9 a.m.–7 p.m. with required permit.
Noncommercial door-to-door advocates who disseminate religious, political, social or other ideological beliefs, or seek donations for which no product or service is given in return, are not required to obtain a permit.
Residents are encouraged to ask to see the individual's permit, which must include:
- Close-up photo of the person
- City-embossed seal
- Signature of licensing clerk
- Information about the person and product/service
- Current permit (permits expire Dec. 31 of the current year)
No permit? Call 911 immediately for an officer to respond to the situation.
Peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants must provide a receipt and three-day cancellation notice.
Residents may obtain a “Peddlers and Solicitors Prohibited” sign from the City’s licensing clerk at no charge by calling 952-949-6200.