The City is building a new pump station and 4-million gallon ground storage reservoir on former MnDOT property located along the north side of Highway 212, just east of Eden Prairie Road. The facility is necessary to support the expansion of water service to future growth areas while improving system reliability and maintaining adequate water service under emergency situations.
Construction began in late July 2019 and the anticipated completion date is October 2020.
LRT Trail Detour Map [PDF]
The architectural design for this project is inspired by the former Washburn train depot building, which served as Eden Prairie's transportation hub during the late 19th century. The depot was located near the new facility, along the existing railroad grade that currently serves as the LRT Regional Trail.
The new facility will incorporate several forms of sustainable practices in the site design and structures to reduce energy consumption as described below.
Improving the overall sustainability of the water utility by:
- Using the most energy-efficient design practices permitted by the Minnesota Department of Health in a drinking water facility
- Providing flexibility in operations of the public water distribution system to optimize energy use and the distribution system
- Reducing the peak energy consumed by the water utility’s older, less efficient pump station
Participating in Xcel Energy's Energy Design Assistance program, which includes:
- High-efficiency mechanical equipment
- Low-flow plumbing fixtures
- High-efficiency lighting throughout the building and site
- Premium efficiency motors and variable frequency drives for water pumping equipment
- Increased quality of specific building materials with greater energy efficiency
Additional sustainable measures include:
- Protecting as many of the desirable, significant trees onsite as possible while preparing for construction; replacing trees in accordance with City requirements
- Optimizing construction efficiency through design and planning to reduce fossil fuel consumption
- Implementing stormwater Best Management Practices to treat, control and manage stormwater runoff from the site
- Performing a Green Infrastructure Analysis in the Stormwater Management Plan and implementing the recommendations in the project design
Utility Operations Manager