Updated information and resources at

Election Day Registration

If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at your local polling place on Election Day. However, you are required to provide certain acceptable forms of identification to prove your eligibility when registering on Election Day.

To register at your polling place on Election Day, you must have one of the following to verify your residence:

  • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card or receipt for any of these containing a valid address in the precinct
  • A student ID card including your photo, if your college provided a student housing list to election officials
  • A Tribal ID card that contains your name, signature and address in the precinct
  • A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address 
  • A notice of late registration that was sent to you from your county auditor
  • A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
  • An authorized employee of a residential facility where you reside who can confirm your address (the residential facility must provide a list of employees to election officials)

Alternatively, voters may register by a combination of one photo ID from Column 1 AND one type of bill from Column 2.

Column 1 Column 2
Approved photo IDs must contain the voter's name and photo. It may contain the voter's old address or have no address.

Eligible original bills (paper or electronic), including account statements and start of service notifications, dated or due date is 30 days before or after the election, must contain current name and address in the precinct.

Types of Photo IDs Types of Bills

Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit or State ID issued by any state

TV, Cable, Satellite

Military ID

Internet Service

Tribal ID

Electric/Gas /Water

U.S. Passport

Phone (Cell, Landline, VOIP)

Minnesota Post-Secondary student ID

Banking or Credit Card

Minnesota High School ID

Rent or Mortgage Payments


Solid Waste or Sewer services


Residential Lease or Rental Agreement if valid thru Election Day

  Current student fee statement